Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tip for android developers regarding Keystore

A year ago I started developing Android Applications. I had launched the Demo version of my game Wake Up Dad on google play. I was a beginner back then so didn’t know the importance of keystore (used for signing any Android Application) which I accidently deleted.

A few months back, I wanted to update the game but I couldn’t because of the lost keystore. I tried launching the game with different keystore but google play doesn’t allow the updated apk as the signature is different. The only solution to this was to remove the older version of the game and publish the updated apk with the new package game. Pretty sad for a developer when there are some great reviews etc :(

So here's a tip (mainly for beginners): If you've lost your private key, its gone forever (unless you have backups). Make sure you have a backup of your key. The best way to do this is by mailing it to your own mail address.


P.S - If you accidently landed up on this page and if you are an android developer..don't ignore this...read it...I will be glad if it helped someone out there..:) 
Editor - Pooja Panchal

No comments:

Post a Comment